14k Gold Filled Meaning
Gold is always a desire of humans. However, it is a luxury and everyone can’t afford it. That’s why, 14k gold filled jewelry is a good option for most of the people. 14k gold filled meaning a thick layer of gold (2.5-3.0 microns) is deposited on brass. It is very hard for some one to distinguish between gold filled jewelry and real gold. It is also durable and can last many years with proper care.
What is 14k gold Filled Jewelry?
Gold filled jewelry is manufactured by coating a thick layer of gold (3.0 microns) on the brass metal with high pressure and temperature. Brass is made of copper (90%) and zinc(10%).
14k gold filled is also an alloy as it contains 5% of 14k gold with 95% brass. Gold filled jewelry is cheap and high quality. It can last very long with proper care.
How Long 14k Gold Filled Last?
14k gold filled is a better option for gold admirers as compared to gold plated. There is more gold present in gold filled. The durability of gold filled is long. If you care properly for gold filled jewelry, its life span will increase.
Do not wear your jewelry during shower, or if you are going to use chemicals like detergents. Clean it regularly with soft chemicals, then wash it with water and dry it.
Gold filled and Gold Plated Comparison
- Thick gold layer (2.5-3.0 microns)
- Core metal is Brass, an alloy.
- No layer of nickel is present
- Long durability
- Gold layer is thin (0.25-2.0 microns)
- Core metal is Brass
- A layer of nickel is used to enhance the adhesion
- Comparatively low durability.
Pros and Cons of 14k Gold Filled
- Thick Gold Layer
- Long durability
- Solid gold and gold filled look same
- There is no other metal except core metal brass.
- Comparatively Cheap
- It is not pure gold
- The base metal is mostly brass
- Only 5% by weight of gold is present.
- The gold layer can be worn off if not handled carefully.
Measurements to Take Care of 14k Gold Filled Jewelry?
You can keep the gold filled jewelry safe by the following means:
- Keep it in a dry atmosphere.
- Remove it before swimming.
- Regularly clean it with mild soap or baking soda.
- Place it in a proper jewelry box.
A complete guide on ”how to care for gold filled jewelry?“
People Also Ask
Gold filled jewelry is a good and cheap option for the people who desire to buy gold. 14k gold filled meaning is a mixture of brass and 14k gold. A thick gold layer is coated over a brass core. We can also assume it as an alloy. It can last very long with proper care and maintenance. However there are chances for tarnishing, when it gets or is exposed to harsh chemicals, like detergents, perfumes etc.